This is a reminder article about maintaining the fire sprinkler systems installed in many homes on Encinitas Ranch.
Many of the homes in Encinitas Ranch come equipped with fire sprinkler systems installed by Symons Fire Protection. Residents may not know that they should periodically check and test various parts of the system to ensure that it operates in a quality manner.
The following are the recommended steps:
- Visually inspect all sprinklers to ensure that they are clean and free of any obstructions.
- Locate control valves and inspect to ensure that all water supply valves are open.
- Do NOT paint or hang any objects from sprinkler heads.
- On a quarterly basis remove the keyless hose bibb from the red metal box typically located in a corner of the garage. Find the test valve for the system which is usually located on the back or side of the house. Take the keyless hose bibb and insert onto the test valve which looks like a regular water hose connection. Turn on the water to activate the flow switch. This will sound an alarm bell both inside and outside of the house. The bell should ring within one minute. This step is intended to remove any sediment that might have built up in the lines. This step will not activate any of the sprinklers inside of the house.
- If pressure surges occur higher than 175 PSI, a pressure regulator should be installed in underground piping.
If you have any questions please call Symons Fire Protection at 619-588-6364.